Obesity is overweight caused by the amount of fat in the body. Currently, obesity not only causes problems related to beauty only, or just beautiful because it looks slim, but obesity causes many illnesses and health problems. The most common diseases that strike an obese are heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
One of the causes of obesity is the wrong diet and lifestyle. Start by changing it for the better. That way you can lose weight. Not only that, increasing physical activity and behavior can also help you avoid obesity.
Someone called obesity if the body mass index or body mass index (BMI) reaches 30 or more. Body mass index (BMI) can be calculated based on weight (kg) divided by height (cm).
BMI calculation formula is: body weight: (height / 100) 2
For example, you weigh 50 kg and your height 160 cm.
BMI = 50 divided (160/100) 2 = 50: 2.56 = 19.53
If the result is below 18.5, that means your weight is below standard or too thin. If the result is 18.5 – 24.9, it means your weight is normal, whereas if the result 30 or more, you fall into the category of obesity.
Causes of Obesity
- Bad lifestyle; Bad lifestyle can also affect weight, such as eating high-calorie foods (especially at night), fast food consumption, and high-calorie drinks.
- No activity. If you do not have any activity, keep quiet and lazy, you will not burn fat in the body. However, if you do a lot of activity and often exercise, it will help you burn fat.
- Wrong diet. By skipping breakfast is the wrong diet. Usually, if you skip breakfast because it is on a diet, you will eat more at lunch. This is what makes weight gain faster.
- Lack of sleep. A person who sleeps less than seven hours per day can affect hormones that can increase appetite.
- Take certain medications. Some drugs may lead to obesity, such as diabetes drugs, anti-seizure medications, steroidal antipsychotic drugs, and beta-blockers.
- Pregnant. During pregnancy, a woman usually has a significant weight gain. Once the baby is born, they are usually difficult to lose weight as before
Besides raising the risk of diseases such as diabetes, heart, and high blood. Obesity is also at risk of causing several diseases below, such as:
- High cholesterol and triglycerides
- Type 2 diabetes
- Metabolic syndrome, a combination of high blood sugar, high blood pressure, triglycerides, and high cholesterol
- Cancer, including cervical cancer, cervix, ovary, breast, colon, rectum, and prostate
- Gallbladder disease
- Gynecological problems, such as irregular menstruation and fertility
- Erectile dysfunction and s*xual health, due to the blockage of fat resulting in artery narrowing to the genitals
- Skin problems
Diagnosis of Obesity
- Some tests will be done to find out if you are obese or not. Some of the tests that the doctor will usually do are:
- Calculate your Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Measure your waistline. Fat is usually around the waist or abdomen, which can lead to diabetes and heart disease. Women with the waist circumference greater than 35 inches and men over 40 inches have a greater likelihood of various diseases than those with smaller waistlines
- General physical examination, including height, blood pressure, heart rate, body temperature, lung function, and your stomach condition
- Blood check. With this examination, you can find out some of the diseases you may have.
The main goal of obesity treatment is the achievement of a healthy life and ideal body weight. The way to achieve that goal is by dieting with:
• Set a healthy diet by eating low-calorie foods
• Do regular exercise and other activities
• Consult your doctor to practice diet and anxiety when it is difficult to diet
• Find support to help you lose weight like friends, family, friends, and the people around.
• Change your lifestyle to be healthier and regular.