As humans, we have experienced saturation and fatigue in doing things, including in nurturing and educating our children. This is especially felt by working parents. In addition to parenting, they are also responsible for their work . If not handled properly, sometimes unconsciously, we can shed negative emotions to the children at home. Instead of solving the problem, instead we experience a dilemma that is increasingly tangled and indeterminate ends.
Stress is the body’s reaction to a person due to various problems encountered. Saturation in parenting can be one of the triggers of stress. Symptoms of stress can include fatigue, moodiness, lethargy, loss or increased appetite, headache, frequent crying, to sleeplessness or even excessive sleep.
Particularly in parenting and educating children, each parent has their own way of expressing the stress experienced. There are parents who stress become more quiet, emotional, angry, crying, acting silly or anxious excessive when being stressed. There are also parents who often dizzy or always feel sick.
If this continues and is not addressed, it can have an adverse effect not only on ourselves but also on our children. The reaction of our actions when stress in parenting will be captured by the child as an anger, resentment, and loss of the affection of parents who leave trauma to children especially in interacting with their parents.
In order not to be easy to stress in parenting as well as the first step in anticipating stress there are some things we need to understand, namely:
- We must always realize that the presence of a child in a marriage bond is a gift awaited by each couple. Sometimes there are couples who even do different types of therapy when not blessed with children. Therefore be grateful we have been blessed with children. How to be thankful by trying hard to avoid hurting a child under any circumstances. To harm a child is to hurt God’s trust.
- Try when interacting with children, we are in positive condition, not in hungry condition, thirsty, tired, sad or sleepy. The situation is very easy to trigger stress when seeing the behavior of children who do not match expectations. If we experience the situation should avoid and submit for a while to the husband, maid, or other residents of the house.
- Honest in assessing the problem. If the problem is facing itself then solve it yourself. There is no harm in momentarily away or distance from the child. Try to get fresh air, exit the room, and momentarily let go of the view around. It can not be denied that the child’s behavior is not as expected increase the level of stress that appears before, either because of work or other factors. Sometimes we have problems outside, but propagate to various things. The child is often the victim. So be honest in assessing the problem, whether the problem home, child, husband or office.
- Work with your husband in parenting to share the burden. This is especially true for parents who have a large number of children and close proximity of age, would be very tired when handling all children alone.
- Plan the time for us to do our own activities that we usually call “Me Time”. This is to overcome the saturation in parenting and entertaining with activities that we like like reading a book, attending a seminar, or a walk. As much as possible in a month we have one day to have a “Me Time”.
- Be diligent in adding knowledge especially to the stages of child development from various sources such as magazines, newspapers, radio, television, internet, or sharing experiences with other parents in parenting groups or communities like this. Many cases of the inability of parents to handle the child until the end of stress due to ignorance of parents about child growth and tips handling.