Perhaps the most interesting indication of the power of fish oil is the fact that many doctors consume it: Research at Wake Forest University found that after attending training on herbs and dietary supplements, doctors increased fish oil intake by 30 percent – more than what supplements even (some of these supplements even reduce their consumption).
|Image by Monfocus from Pixabay|
Evidence continues to increase that increasing intake of omega-3, an essential fatty acid in fish oil, can help prevent or reverse some of the most dangerous chronic diseases – even aging itself. A recent study from the University of California in San Francisco for more of 600 heart disease sufferers found that those who had high omega-3 levels in their blood had chromosomes that looked younger than those with lower omega-3 levels.
14 Benefits Of Fish Oil Supplements
Telomeres – the ends of chromosomes that help the body repair cellular damage – they are longer, making them better able to keep the body’s tissue healthy. Other omega-3 benefits are:
1. Reducing blood pressure in people with hypertension
2. Increasing HDL (“good”) cholesterol levels
3. Reducing the risk of death, heart attack, abnormal heart rhythm, and stroke in people who have had a heart attack.
4. Slowing hardening of the arteries
5. Reducing inflammation
6. Slowing genetic aging, especially in people with heart disease
7. Reducing joint pain in patients with rheumatoid arthritis
8. Improving kidney function
9. Reducing macular degeneration
10. Reducing the risk of developing breast, colon and prostate cancer
11 If used together with other treatments can relieve some symptoms of postpartum depression, childhood depression, schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder
12. Reducing the risk of cognitive decline
13. Maximizing the development of the baby’s brain and eyes
14. Curing menstrual pain.
The American Heart Association recommends taking at least one gram of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic (DHA) in fish oil every day, or 2-4 grams daily if your cholesterol level is high. Ask your doctor the right dosage for you. (If you have other cardiac medications or have a blood clotting disorder, fish oil can cause serious side effects, such as uncontrolled bleeding.)
Worry about metal toxins in fish resulting in high levels of pollution? The Environmental Defense Fund has conducted research on 75 brands of fish oil supplements and found that 80 percent of the brands they tested proved safe. Expensive products are not necessarily the best.